Thursday, October 13, 2011

First Field Trip!

So I have now completed only 3 days at my new job and I already feel at home. My bosses are great and have so much knowledge to share! My first day was filled with lots and lots of reading. I am working for the forestry department, but mostly focused in land assistance programs, so similar work to what I did for my senior internship at the NRCS. The projects I am focusing on have been the Conservation Reserve Enhancement Program and Forest Stewardship Program. Haven't heard of them? Well that makes two of us. So my first day was spent reading about these various programs and becoming educated on them. I also got introduced to a couple more projects that I am still waiting to learn more about.

While the first day was a bit of a bore (reading dense material on the computer for 9 hours) the second day was much better. I was going on my first field trip! So I am assisting with a Pacific Islands Conference at the end of this month and we were hoping one of the FSP projects could host a dinner for all the islands. These islands include American Samoa, Palau, Guam, Federated States of Micronesia, and a few more, to come to Hawaii to discuss forestry issues specific to Pacific Islands. I am so excited to get to help out with this conference and meet all these incredible people especially since I have such a focus in the Pacific Islands. Anyway, back to the field trip, we went to this beautiful agroforestry farm in Kalihi called Ho`oulu `Aina where they are working to grow medicinal plants and all native Hawaiian plants. We discussed menu ideas for this dinner and they described things I haven't even heard of so I am super excited to be involved and learn new things. It was also great getting to go outside and experience a new ecosystem. It is amazing how much I learned going on field visits with the NRCS, without even realizing it. I learned what plants are invasive and native to California, but none of that applies here. Its a totally different forest and I have a lot to learn. So far we have gone over Albizia which is all over Manoa and Hawaii and invasive to Hawaii and Kukui, the state tree, which is also invasive. I also got to see what Koa looks like when its not the kitchen table I am eating off of! I am so excited to become familiar with a more Polynesian ecosystem.

Another project I am working on has been changing the rules in their statutes, which means I am putting all those law classes to work. It is a bit weird how much I enjoy reading statutes and knowing why particular language is used over another. I am excited to get going on this so that hopefully by the time my internship is coming to a close, I can say I helped change a statute! I am also working on the Big Tree project to help get Native Hawaiian trees on a national register and just got an email from someone doing the same thing but for New Zealand! So I hope to either get a few of our trees on the national list and a couple more on the Pacific Islands list in New Zealand.

So enough about work. Many of you ask how I am doing and what I am up to. To be honest, I've only had one weekend so far and it was spent unpacking my giant suitcases and becoming settled in my new life. Most of the time my days include work, going for a run, dinner, then relaxing before retiring quite early (as many of you know I am a bit of a night owl so this has probably been the hardest part). Running has been so enjoyable here, and I am not sure if its because the humidity makes it easier to breathe, the downhill at the beginning of my run, or the slight mist that is always hanging around Manoa in the evening. I just feel happy while running, which hasn't been the case since I took 3 months off after spraining my ankle. It has been a highlight of my day and I am hoping possibly a key to making new friends since I plan on joining a running club soon. This weekend I look forward to meeting up with some family returning from the World Cup in New Zealand (I am soooo jealous) and watching the All Blacks take on Australia. Hope to check in soon!

Heres a couple of pics from the field visit!




2 comments:

  1. are you applying to law school after this or are you just going to keep working?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thinking I will probably try to find another job for at least 1-2 years to help make a dent in student loans then I have to decide whether Law school here or NZ.

    ReplyDelete